June is Fireworks Safety Month
Every July 4th, fireworks land many Americans in emergency rooms. About 11,100 people were injured by fireworks in 2016, and at least four died, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Your eyes, of course, are a prime target for fireworks injuries. That’s why our optometry team in Lumberton & Benson wants to let you know about Fireworks Safety Month, sponsored by Prevent Blindness America.
Tips on Fireworks Safety in Lumberton & Benson
Educating our patients about protective eye care is an important part of our optometry practice in Lumberton & Benson. Practice these fireworks safety tips to protect your eyes and enjoy a safe summer holiday season:
- Use only legal fireworks and follow all safety precautions. NEVER use illegal M-class fireworks such as M-80’s, or cherry bombs. They’re very powerful and don’t conform to any regulations, making them unreliable and dangerous.
- Wear protective eyewear if you’re using or near any fireworks.
- Use caution with sparklers, especially around young children. You may not know that sparklers can reach temperatures of 2000 degrees. They can catch clothing or hair on fire and cause injury to life, limb and eyesight.
- Bottle rockets pose dangerous risks to eyes—often, they’re picked up and aimed at other people. A study on bottle rocket injuries among children and teens by Vanderbilt Eye Institute showed a variety of eye injuries, from corneal abrasions to detached retinas. Many victims suffered permanent vision loss.
- Don’t let young children handle any type of fireworks. Older children should participate only under adult supervision.
- Don’t drink alcohol while using fireworks.
- Don’t re-light fireworks that didn’t go off.
- Soak any unused fireworks in water before discarding.
- Talk with your children about the dangers of fireworks, so they’ll be aware and cautious if they encounter them.
What’s the best way to practice fireworks safety and good eye care? Sit back and enjoy a professional fireworks display!
Protect Your Eyes with Optical Checkups at EyeWorks Vision Center
Call today for an appointment with the optometry team at our Lumberton office at 910-738-6464 or our Benson office at 919-894-2001.